|Protect animals. Fight cruelty.
News, Action, and Updates
NOTICE: This website provides data on Minnesota puppy mills and legislative action, and general animal cruelty issues. A new Animal Folks website is under construction to reflect our broader mission. Thank you for your patience.
• LEGISLATURE: The Minnesota Legislative ended for 2016: MN Legislature
Who gets elected to office can greatly influence animal issues: MN Elections
• APPOINTMENT: Governor Mark Dayton appointed Dr. Graham Brayshaw as a board member to the MN Board of Animal Health. Details: News
• VETERINARY MANUAL: Reporting Animal Cruelty. Animal Folks has created a manual to assist veterinarians in Minnesota in setting up clinic protocols to identify and report animal cruelty. A pdf version and information for a printed version are available at: Veterinary Manual.
• DATABANK: Animal Folks is conducting a statewide study of animal cruelty cases in Minnesota with volunteers from 3M Legal Affairs. We are gathering cruelty case documents for analysis. This data will allow us to assess the type of crimes committed, species harmed, sentencing orders, and other factors which can then be used for animal law training and cruelty prevention programs. See 3M report (p 7) for mention of project and our great partners.
• NEWS: The USDA had filed a complaint against Clearwater Kennels for willfully violating the Animal Welfare Act. Rather than a revocation of the license, a settlement agreement was made. More: News - Clearwater
• NEWS: The Town Board for Lynden Township (in Stearns County) voted to revoke the Conditional Use Permit (CUP) of Valorie Muggli (now LaBeau), a dog breeder operating. Learn more at: News - LaBeau
• NEWS: The Winona County Board of Commissioners voted to approve permits for six commercial dog kennels. Animal Folks had submitted a complaint against one applicant in 2012 to the Sheriff office. AF also submitted a document to the Board requesting denial. Learn more: News - Winona County
• BREEDER LICENSING: As of July 1, 2015, licensure for commercial dog and cat breeders (those who meet the definition per the Commercial Dog and Cat Breeder Law) became mandatory. Link: List of Licensees
• CVI PROJECT: Animal Folks tracks sales of dogs from Minnesota breeders and dealers to out-of-state pet stores and dealers. Help support this project and other AF projects: donate. For examples of this data, go to: CVI Data
MAKING A JUST WORLD FOR ANIMALS