|A Minnesota Problem: Puppy and Kitten Mills
News, Action, and Updates
NOTICE: This website provides data on Minnesota puppy mills and legislative action, and general animal cruelty issues. A new Animal Folks website is under construction to present additional information and reflect our broader mission. Thank you for your patience.
• DATABANK: Animal Folks is conducting a statewide study of animal cruelty cases in Minnesota with volunteers from 3M Legal Affairs. We are gathering cruelty case documents for analysis. This data will allow us to assess the type of crimes committed, species harmed, sentencing orders, and other factors which can then be used for animal law training and cruelty prevention programs. See 3M report (p 7) for mention of project and our great partners.
• NEWS: Animal Folks tracks sales of dogs from Minnesota breeders and dealers to out-of-state pet stores and dealers. Help support this project and other AF projects: donate. For examples of this data, go to: CVI Data
• NEWS: The HSUS, ASPCA and the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association have filed a legal petition with the USDA to improve the standards of care for dogs in commercial breeding facilitiies.
• CASES: For examples of Minnesota dog breeder cases resulting in animal cruelty convictions (Bauck, Rowell, Bell), go to: Issue
• BREEDER LICENSING: As of July 1, 2015, licensure for commercial dog and cat breeders (those who meet the definition per the Commercial Dog and Cat Breeder Law) became mandatory. The MN Board of Animal Health gave licenses to two of the largest breeders in the state — one with over 900 dogs and puppies and another with over 1,000 dogs and puppies. Link: List of Licensees
• NEWS: Zimbabwe says Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer won't face charges in the killing of Cecil the Lion. For information on Cecil the Lion, his killer (Minnesotan Walter Palmer), and related issues, go to: Cecil the Lion
• MN LEGISLATIVE SESSION: Go to: Minnesota State Legislature
• NEWS: A complaint was filed by Last Chance for Animals against Christensen Farms (large hog production facility) in Rock County, MN for animal cruelty. The county prosecutor has declined to press charges. For details: Minnesota hog farm suspends 7 over animal abuse video. To view video: Factory Farm 360
• THANKS TO ASPCA: ASPCA provided a grant to Animal Folks which allowed us to send two people to the 2015 International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Association (IVFSA) conference held in Orlanda, Florida. We are grateful to the ASPCA for their generosity.
Animals make us better humans.